Saturday, 27 January 2007

What to wear?


Anyone who has ever ridden a motorbike will realise that the only thing between you and the elements is what you wear. To be comfortable, you need to wear appropriate gear. Since we will be riding from Salta in the north (24 degrees south) where the temperature today (27th January) is a balmy 28C (it is summer after all ...:-) and will be travelling to Ushuaia (54 degrees south) in the far south which today reported 12C with rain(not so good....) , the choice of motorbike gear is a bit of a puzzle. The question is really would we prefer to be roasted, poached, steamed, soaked, boiled, chilled or frozen. We will cross 4 climatic zones ranging from sub-tropical to sub-polar. I don't know of any gear that can cope with those extremes. I have no idea what to bring.....and as some of you ladies say "I have nothing to wear!"...The UK climate doesn't really prepare you.

....so I did what I normally do in these situations and went shopping and stocked up (no hangover involved...promise!) . Mister HEIN GERICKE's Tuareg Jacket should do the trick. Apparently it can handle the heat, is waterproof(ish) and is reasonably armoured in case I take a fit and decide to avoid using the brakes and slow the bike down using nothing but my shoulder,elbow or chin. I am hoping that ebay will furnish a pair of RUKKA waterproof trousers. Gloves is still an open question but the usuals will probably do. Boots....hmmmm....as we have to travel light and survive a month, I think I will forego the usual bike boots and use regular hiking boots and suppliment with gaiters and waterproof socks if needs be. Crossing the Andes twice, I guess we might have a 'soft day' or two.

The guidebook for Argentaina has an entry for Ushuaia that says "Congratulations, you made it!....now unless you are a penguin, the way home is north." Apparently, the distance between Ushuaia and Buenos Aires is twice the distance between Ushuaia and the Antartic peninsula.......hmmm...that gives me an idea!

1 comment:

Ricardo said...

I'll be sporting the 80's shorts and flip-flops in a Corfu-moped gravel-rash stylie and packing the designer wellies, extra woolly and bin liners for the last bit. I should be tres chic. (I think that might mean three children in spanish?)