Thursday, 15 February 2007

Day 11- Bariloche Rest Day

We have officially arrived in Patagonia... actually, that is a little exageration, we crossed the border 3 days ago BUT....we woke up this morning to find the temperature a chilly 4C with rain and low cloud. It is hard to belive that a week ago we were sweating in 35C heat and cursing the waterproof bike gear. Looks like we are going to need it from now on. I am suddenly glad that I have not lugged all this gear with me for no reason. I was beginning to think I might have over packed as I have been known to do on ocasion. Some people might say that 4 pairs of gloves is 2 or three pairs too many. We`ll see who has the last laugh when we stop for lunch and I pull out my warm DRY afternoon gloves. Hah!

Bariloche is like nothing else we have seen in Argentina. It is a serious tourist destination with armies of tourists charging around the Outdoor Gear and Chocolate shops. This town was apparently founded by German, Italian and Swiss emigrants and they brough with them their Chocolate making skills. We, sadly were too stuffed with meat to have much of an appetite.

Decided to take the tour up the local mountain by Gondola for a look at the lake and the surrounding mountains. On the way, we passed a toboggan run with it´s own little chairlift so we though why not? Health and Safety laws in Argentina are different to those in the UK so there is serious fun factor available. You sit on a sled with wheels, release the brake and reach terminal velocity quite quickly down a steep twisty path. If you go off the side, then you hit the trees or something else.

No comments: